May 06, 2009

a Ship in the harbour is safe



There is an old saying that states that a ship in the harbour is safe, but ships are not build to stay in the harbour.



In business or as manager/employee we tend to fall in this trap. The safe bet is to preserve the status quo, to do nothing extraordinary. We are so afraid of mistakes and failure that we keep our ships in the harbour. Nobody can blame us for anything, nobody can fire me, and nobody will notice if I am slack. The comfort zone harbour is very safe! But high performance people know where the idyllic island is, and that it will take ten hours of dangerous waters and winds to reach the island. High performance people know they don't have a choice, they need to reach the island and all the wonderful things it has to offer. They spend the same ten hours a day working, the only difference is the fact that the high performance people will be satisfied, fulfilled and making a difference in the world.




How do you spend your ten hours a day? I don't feel safe where I am right now in my life, but I am surely not in my harbour!

No comments:

Post a Comment